Preventive Maintenance Tips
When it comes to plumbing, prevention is much easier and less costly than repairs. A few simple preventative measures will make your plumbing perform as designed and last longer.
- Washer less faucets offer the best performance and least maintenance. Next time you have a leaky faucet, instead of replacing washers or inserts, upgrade your faucet to a washer less variety. Don't forget the water filter for ceramic cartridge is mandatory.
- Shower and bathtub drains should have strainers that stop hair and soap from entering the drain. Clean strainers regularly to avoid clogs.
- Remove mineral deposits from your shower head to maintain good water flow. If it is severely clogged, replace it.
- Don't flush Kleenex in toilets. The paper fibers do not disintegrate like toilet tissue and can cause clogs. It's also a huge waste of water.
- Maintain toilet tanks and prevent water waste by replacing the ball or flapper once a year, and upgrade to the most modern tank fill system. When you change last time the toilet seat!? More than 2 years ago? Change it. It is time.
- Don't put items like chicken skins, carrots, celery or banana peels in the garbage disposer. The disposer can't properly grind them up and they may clog the drain. Periodically squeeze half lemon with ice crystals and run the disposer to sharp the blades.
BBP PLUMBING INC